- Chi siamo
- Come sostenerci
INTERSOS is an independent non-profit humanitarian organization committed to assisting victims of natural disasters and armed conflicts. Its activities are based on the principles of solidarity, justice, human dignity, equality of rights and opportunities, and respect for diversity and coexistence, paying special attention to the most vulnerable and unprotected people.
INTERSOS’ intervention in Sudan immediately followed the start of the crisis in Darfur in 2004 focusing on the movements of people between Chad and Darfur and the large displacement of people inside Darfur itself, addressing concrete efforts to the severe humanitarian emergency. Currently, INTERSOS’ program is shifting to an early recovery approach in an environment that is however still characterized by complex political and tribal dynamics and a volatile security situation.
INTERSOS is preparing an intervention with USAID / OFDA funding aiming at facilitating the reintegration process of returnees in their villages of origin by promoting the resumption and improvement of traditional reconciliation mechanisms between farmers and pastoralists and to contribute to addressing the scarcity of natural resources as one of the main root-causes of the conflict and displacement in the region.
The two sectors of intervention will be agriculture/food security and shelter/settlements to help rural communities and returnees to transit from an emergency to early recovery context, breaking the cycle of dependency on external humanitarian aid by reviving local sustainable and self-reliance mechanisms and solutions.
INTERSOS, in the framework of its activities in Sudan, is currently selecting candidates for the following position.
JOB TITLE: Agronomist
DUTY STATION: El Geneina – Darfur with frequent travel to field sites
DURATION OF THE ASSIGNMENT: 16 months
START DATE: September 2012, pending the awarding of a contract by the donor and visa application procedures
ROLE, TASK AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The Agronomist is responsible for the activities in the sector of agriculture and reforestation. Specifically he/she is responsible for:
- Designing, implementing and reporting of the Food Security / Livelihoods Program in West Darfur, which includes complete financial management..
- Assisting with conducting participatory needs assessment to identify the needs of beneficiaries and their dependents.
- Identifying the appropriate interventions and preparing project proposals.
- Designing and developing community-based initiatives within the strategy of the Food Security / Livelihoods Program
- Developing annual, quarterly and monthly work plans.
- Conducting regular monitoring visits
- Developing an appropriate Monitoring and Evaluation Framework in compliance with donor and INTERSOS’ M+E Strategies
- Monitoring and tracking the implementation of the activities according to the work plans, identifying constraints, providing analysis, recommendations, and taking appropriate actions
- Preparing timely and accurate reports on activities and supporting the Finance Departments with the Financial reporting
- Coordinating and collaborating with other partners and relevant ministries, institutions and organizations for the implementation of the joint activities (Ministry of Animal Health and Fishery, Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources etc.
- Identifying training gaps and building the capacity of partner institutions, beneficiaries, and staff
- Providing monthly narrative reports on all livelihoods activities to the Darfur Programme Manager with critical analysis and recommendations
- Participating in the recruitment of staff and defining of the project organizational chart in collaboration with Line Managers / Darfur Coordinator.
- Arranging, monitoring and facilitating trainings on agro-environmental issues
- Participating in meetings and workshops related or relevant to the project..
- Other duties assigned by the Line Manager or designated senior staff
- University degree in Agronomy, Socio Economics or related field
- Proven experience in agro-environmental sector in multicultural context.
- Demonstrated experience in the design and implementation of USAID projects
- At least 3 year of experience in post emergency and early recovery programs in developing countries.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision; ability to work under pressure and to respect deadlines;
- Strong analytical, training, oral and written communication, and team-building skills;
- Ability to effectively manage a variety of internal and external relationships, including relationships with donors;
- Good knowledge of spoken and written English is required. Italian will be considered a plus.
- Computer literate
- Good knowledge of of international donors procedures and security management.
Application must be submitted to:
Deadline for application: 30 June 2012