- Chi siamo
- Cosa facciamo
- Come sostenerci
- Media Room
Figura richiesta:SUSTAINABLE ENTERPRISE DEVELOPMENT ADVISOR
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Sustainable Enterprise Development Advisor
Istituto Oikos is an independent association founded in 1996 in Milan, which operates in Europe, Africa, Asia and South America, to promote the conservation and sustainable management of natural resources as a tool for economic and social development. To this end, it encourages cooperation and partnerships between organizations of the Global North and Global South; it implements training and education programs and supports responsible tourism initiatives (http://www.istituto-oikos.org/).
Istituto Oikos collaborates with public and private entities, both internationally and in Italy. Since 1999 Istituto Oikos has a local office in Tanzania (Oikos East Africa).
POSITION: Sustainable Enterprise Development Advisor
PROJECT: EENT – NTRI Program
DUTY STATION: Arusha city with frequent visits in the intervention area (Longido District, Monduli District, Arusha District (Arusha Region); Simanjiro District (Manyara Region), Makame District)
DURATION: One year renewable
STARTING DATE: April - May 2017
SALARY: to be defined according to qualifications and working experience
Description of the project: Istituto Oikos is engaged in three projects focusing on increasing the resilience of pastoral communities by protecting the ecosystem services they depend upon. The Endangered Ecosystem-Northern Tanzania (EENT) is a USAID funded program, which is part of the Northern Tanzania Rangeland Initiative (NTRI), with the ultimate outcome of more resilient human and natural communities with women and youth empowered, inclusive broad-based economic growth sustained and effective democratic governance improved. Istituto Oikos is participating in the program implementing activities within the strategy 3 (“Increase and diversify income and improve health for local communities, women and youth through joint ventures, value chain interventions, microenterprises, and community health initiatives”), engaging women and youth in the development of financially sustainable and environmentally friendly micro-enterprises as a strategic contribution to preserve the rangelands’ biological diversity. Two other European funded projects, the first under the Empowerment for better livelihoods, including skills development and vocational education and training, for marginalised and vulnerable persons and people dependent on the informal economy and the second under the GCCA Tanzania: Integrated Approaches for Climate Change Adaptation, have similar scopes and activities. The three projects together target a large part of the Northern rangelands, outside protected areas.
General duties: under the supervision of Oikos Country Director and Oikos Scientific Advisor and in collaboration with Project Manager and Oikos Social Business Advisor , the Sustainable Enterprise Development Advisor will be in charge of the planning, coordination, implementation, monitoring and supervision of innovative, equal, environmental-friendly, culturally acceptable entrepreneurships able to integrate profit and social values.
- Make a market analysis of the economic potential of small enterprises in two strategic sectors: leather and honey production for the Maasai rural communities (with women and youth as target) in the above mentioned intervention area.
- Support the training program aimed at improving livelihoods by increasing “Know-why” and “know-how” of purchasing and selling processes (consumer side and entrepreneur side).
- Develop and support small enterprises in two strategic sectors: leather and honey production.
- Support the process of creation and development of women producers groups able to meet the local and /or international market.
- Participate in the development of a business plan for each one of the established enterprises.
- Develop sustainable and profitable market linkages for micro-enterprises in target villages.
- Support the monitoring activities and participate to internal project progress review.
- Participate to program coordination meetings organized by the leading agency and partners.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly technical reports on project implementation, according to the required internal and donor procedures.
Skills and requirements
- Proven expertise in social businesses, artisanal businesses, agro and green businesses in Europe or at least 3 years proven working experience in small enterprises/green economies in developing countries.
- Proficiency in English.
- Knowledge of word processing packages and spreadsheets.
- Familiarity with the concept of indicator and monitoring.
- Able to base him/herself in remote areas.
- Degree in socio-economic studies.
- Previous experience in sale business.
- Technical expertise in leather sector.
- Swahili knowledge.
- Previous experience in Tanzania and in women empowerment activities.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: 28th February 2017
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send their CV and a letter of motivation (max 1 page), both written in English, and the details of 3 people for professional references to email@example.com, indicating Vacancy Notice SEDA/TZ/2017 in the object of the mail.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.