Istituto Oikos Onlus
Background and context
Istituto Oikos is an Italian NGO that works in the field of environmental and sustainable development in
Europe, Africa, Latin America and Asia. Istituto Oikos operates in Myanmar since 2010 with programs of conservation and natural resource management.
Marine Fisheries Biologist / Conservation Biologist
Position: Marine Fisheries Biologist / Conservation Biologist
Duty Station: Myanmar
Duration: 7 months (renewable)
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION: 30/08/2019
Duties and Accountabilities
Istituto Oikos is seeking to recruit a Marine Fisheries Biologist / Conservation Biologist for its program in Myanmar and specifically in Lampi Marine National Park. The Marine Fisheries Biologist / Conservation Biologist will report to the Project Manager. The biologist will work in collaboration with a national expert and will play an essential role in the implementation of field activities related to environmental monitoring, fishery planning and management, engagement of local communities in co-management.
- Promote and facilitate community involvement in marine resources and fish stocks conservation including the establishment of Village Fisheries Societies, the development of community fisheries management plans and fishers registration;
- Engage and cooperate with park staff, department of fisheries staff, researchers and fishers in data collection and analysis of patrolling & environmental Data and in the development of fisheries management plans;
- Organize environmental education, awareness and training sessions for local stakeholders.
- Facilitate and maintain effective communication with the Government counterparts and local partners, Non-Government Organizations (NGOs), civil society, universities as well as specialized international organizations;
- Support the Project Manager and the scientific supervisors in the definition of possible research programs/priorities with local and/or international universities.
- Degree in Natural Resources Management, Marine biology or ecology, Conservation or related field;
- Experience working in developing countries, understanding of the institutional and political context and exposure to the local challenges;
- Strong English verbal and written communication skills
- A strong sense of team work and ability to work independently with limited supervision.
- Ability to thrive in multicultural living and working environment with people of diverse cultures, value systems, perspectives and levels of education, and to manage staff in these contexts.
- Willingness to live and work in a remote isolated area, with variable weather conditions and occasionally in physically demanding circumstances.
Lampi Marine National Park – Kawthaung District, Myanmar.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates should send their CV, a letter of motivation and the details of 3 people for professional references to email@example.com, indicating Vacancy Notice No 19/MY/FB in the subject line.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted.