MEDICAL ADVISOR: PSYCHOSOCIAL SUPPORT AND GBV PROGRAMS IN NORTH EAST SYRIA AND IRAQ
Position Title: Medical Advisor
Location: North East Siria and Iraq
Period: 3 months with possible extensions
Starting Date (indicative): MARCH 2019
Un ponte per… (UPP) is an NGO established in 1991. It has started its activities as “Un ponte per Baghdad”, right after the end of the war in Iraq, with the aim of organizing solidarity initiatives in favor of the Iraqi civil society. Later on, the intervention of Un Ponte Per… started including Serbia and other Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries. The NGO mission is to prevent new conflicts, protect human rights and support civil society, especially in the Middle East, through awareness raising and advocacy campaigns, cultural exchanges, humanitarian and peace-building projects. UPP is active in Iraq since 1991 and is regularly registered at National and Kurdistan Region levels. Since 2012 UPP implements several programs to assist Syrian refugees.
Learn more at: www.unponteper.it
Un Ponte Per… is looking for a Medical Advisor for the development of an integrative program of mental health psychosocial support for gender linked problems including training and management of GBV programs carried out in cooperation with the local partner Kurdish Red Crescent in North /East Syria.. The medical advisor should be able to support such training program in the activation process as mental health and gender liked programs.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES. The medical advisor will be responsible for:
- To advise and monitor programs aimed at reducing gender inequality and Gender-based Violence (GBV) and at protecting and promoting children’s rights including those of women and adolescents,
- To advise and monitor programs directed to mental health and psychosocial support, in primary and secondary care setting, in coordination with maternal, healthy child, and chronic diseases programs
- Coordinating clinical activity with community activities and organization, namely Women organizations and GBV program
- Developing and monitoring protection mainstream programs in coordination with general primary and secondary care services
- Developing and coordinating protocols for protection and psychosocial support in daily and emergency situation, collaborating in the creation of the necessary protection network
- Training of the clinical staff (doctors, nurses, paramedics, midwifes) in:
- Social context related to gender inequalities and conflicts
- Dealing with gender inequalities and protection measures in clinical setting
- Basics of mental health and psychosocial support procedures in daily clinical consultation
- Psychosocial support in health and social related conflicts. Adequate intervention of professional health workers
- Community tools to approach gender inequality
- Training program of Community Health Workers (CHWs) and Women association members in:
- Gender inequality conditions in the local social realm. Correct approaches
- Dealing with psychosocial support in family visiting
- Basics of mental health for CHWs
- Community intervention in protection mainstream activities
- Protection mainstream protocols
- Advising and collaborating with the Project Manager in any demand related to his/her area of expertise
- Elaborating M&E data for reporting purpose - Supporting the project managers in the reporting activities
- University degree
- Minimum of three years professional experience in the health services setting.
- Accredited experience as trainer or teacher of gender related programs.
- Psychosocial professional experience.
- Participation in protection main stream programs in societies with gender inequality challenges
- Experience in community medicine and public health activities
- Good understanding of the project life cycle management
- Excellent capacity to work in team.
- Proven capacities to plan activities successfully targeting results and objectives.
- Ability to supervise and/or mentor the medical staff.
- Previous work experience in humanitarian field.
- Excellent oral and written English.
- Working experience with local counterparts (CSOs, local NGOs, local institutions).
- Experience of planning, organizing and prioritizing work, working under pressure and meeting deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure in stressful environments
- Ability to travel in the Middle East with the same ability of a Western European passport owner. Ability to travel in Europe
- Medical university degree
- Psychiatrics or psychologist degree
- Experience in women community services
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or Italian.
HOW TO APPLY: Interested candidates are invited to submit a detailed CV, a brief cover letter to address the requirements above and contact information for two professional references to: email@example.com . Please reference “NES-MA-MH - Name Surname” in the subject line of your email application. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please name the files attached to your application as follow: surname_name_CV, surname_name_CL, etc.